Spring, Pasalubong, Escabeche, Atbp.

It feels more like spring lately. I think the temperature will no longer drop to 40s (Fahrenheit) starting today. Spring feels like “Baguio weather” to me. It’s still cold, but it’s no longer cold enough to jump into those thick winter jackets that make you look twice bigger than your real size. Actually, I’ve already placed my winter jackets (along with my gloves) in a shelf and for the past few weeks, the old sports jackets that I’ve brought with me from Manila have been keeping me warm. Also, it already feels okay to just wear slippers/sandals (instead of rubber shoes) when going out. I’m sure Chicago locals feel just the same or should I say, they’re more thrilled about this “winter is finally over and summer is coming soon” weather that you actually see them sporting their skimpy swimsuit tops on the streets? :P
***
I’ll be home in a little over a couple of months from now. I’ve already started buying pasalubongs for my family and friends back home and I’m planning to have everything shipped to Manila by June. I can’t wait to see their smiles when I personally hand those things to them! Just to manage everyone’s expectations, the things I bought are not luxurious items, okay? They’re just little things that say -- “Hey, you crossed my mind while I'm away!” I remember one of my teammates telling me that I should only bring home something for those people who remembered to say “hi,” “hello,” or “how are you?” while I’m here. Hmmm… I’d actually like to apply a stricter “pasalubong guideline.” I’d only buy something for those who said “I miss you” without mentioning the word “pasalubong.” I think that’s fair enough. :D
***
I’ve learned a lot of things while I’m away from home. I know I’ve already mentioned something about learning how to cook adobo and nilaga in one of my past entries. Just an update, my latest recipe (or should I say experiment?) is called “finding Nemo.” Why? Well, the recipe is actually called “escabeche,” but I think I poured-in an overwhelming amount of sweet and sour sauce that my housemate had to do some digging before she gets to see the fried fish! Ever heard of the “happy trail, happy meal” concept? Let’s just say the sauce was the “happy trail” and the fish was the “happy meal.” Hehehe! By the way, I didn’t ask my housemate if she liked my “escabeche.” You know what they say -- what you don’t know, won’t hurt you. ;D
***
I had dinner with my lady bosses a few weeks ago. My direct supervisor, a Filipina who is already based here and is married to a Filipino, said her husband was going to pick her up and drive her home when we’re done. Everyone, except me, said “Awwe!” and someone even said “My husband will never do that for me.” No wonder why there is divorce in a country where making sure that your partner gets home safely is “above normal.” Well, I must say, iba pa rin talaga ang Pinoy! At another dinner, someone from our table said that getting the chance to stay in the US for a while could either (a) make you want to leave Philippines or (b) make you appreciate Philippines more. Didn’t I just say “Iba pa rin talaga ang Pinoy?” Need I say more? :)

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2010 Not Just A Box Of Chocolates

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP