Six Months and Some “Defining” Experiences

I’ve read somewhere before that everyone in their lifetime will go through several “defining” experiences. And for me, the past six months have been full of those things – “defining” experiences.

Six months ago, I had a talk with my project manager and I told her what my primary goal was at that moment. I wanted to be more financially sufficient mainly because I wanted to start extending some help to my family. I remember her asking me, “So, it’s savings over career right now?” and I said, “Yes.” I was holding a fairly significant role in Manila back then, but that didn’t stop me from leaving because I had my mind focused on something more important than just holding a highly visible position. Then, I left home to play the game plan. I’ve never lived on my own before and that’s probably why Nanay was quite worried about me leaving. I remember her asking me more than once, “Kaya mo ba?” and I consistently answered her with “Oo naman.” Home has always been my comfort zone. I remember always getting teary-eyed each time I talk to some friends about leaving them and my family for a work abroad. It was not easy, especially because I’m the type who is just so terrible with “goodbyes.”

For almost six months now, I’ve been away from my comfort zone and from everyone who has made that “zone” more than just “comfortable.” I’ve been blessed with very fun-loving and extremely supportive and loyal friends back home. I can go on and on just talking about them, but simply put – they (and my family, of course) are the reason why home will always be home. Luckily, I met some people and made some really good friends here too. Everyone has been great so far. I guess it really is “Pinoy nature” to develop a certain bond and really stick together when living in a foreign land. Well, it looks like leaving home was not 100 percent “goodbyes” after all. Several “hellos” were also made and I must say the stand-outs were “Hello new friends!” and “Hello new lessons-learned!” Yes, there were a lot of lessons-learned and the most significant one would probably be the importance of doing and sharing things with and for your loved ones. My point – everything will be meaningless if you don’t have someone to share it with.

Now, why do I consider these things my “defining” experiences? Simple… They are the bitter-sweet experiences that define, shape, and strengthen my values and goals in life. And because they also happen to instill a very good definition of what’s important and what’s not important to me, they are also the experiences that bring me closer to my dreams and the things that will really make me happy.

By the way, it was also six months ago when something really significant happened. Six months ago, for the very first time, I took a chance on someone and I have to say, that chance was indeed worth-taking! And I guess I can also say that event could be considered a “defining” moment too. Why? Because like what I’ve just said, defining experiences/moments – they bring you closer to the things that will really make you happy. So – HAPPY 6th MONTHSARY, HONEY! See you real soon! ;D

descovrir  – (July 24, 2007 at 1:17 PM)  

ang bilis ah - parang kailan lang nagyayaya ka ng despedida, now uuwi ka na! latag ang red carpet!

naku naman, 6 months na sila - yehey! yeah, it's worth to take that chance on someone - especially if that someone's really worth it....bow

Leah  – (July 24, 2007 at 9:57 PM)  

lynda! super excited na ko umuwi... i'll be there by August 14 (almost midnight siguro) tapos, naka-vacation leave ako for 2 weeks! yahooo! can't wait! dinner-out and coffee tayo nina barly... text ko na lang kayo kung kelan... ingats d'yan! see you soon! :)

Angel Jayme  – (July 26, 2007 at 2:03 PM)  

Thought about going abroad too to ensure our baby's future. But I realized I really can't stand being so far away from my loved ones. Kaya kayod na lang dito sa Pinas.

I tagged you in my blog. Pampalipas oras... ;)

Congrats on your monthsary! :)

Leah  – (July 26, 2007 at 3:24 PM)  

hi jayme! tama... kung di naman talaga kailangan, wag na lang... marami pang mas importanteng bagay sa mundo... like being there for your baby and witnessing her every milestone, big or small... :)

thanks for the greeting and for tagging me sa blog mo... btw, erwin knows kernan... they're from the same frat daw sa UP... :)

Post a Comment

Copyright © 2010 Not Just A Box Of Chocolates

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP